Southwest Ohio Pollution Prevention Internship
The Southwest Ohio Pollution Prevention (P2) Internship Program is a 12-week internship program occurring from late May to early August that pairs college students with companies seeking new and innovative approaches to pollution prevention and conservation. The program is sponsored by Hamilton County R3Source, the Butler County Recycling and Solid Waste District, Adams-Clermont Solid Waste District, and the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Information about 2023 Host Companies
We will actively update this section with information about the 2023 host company locations as the details are confirmed.
The Cincinnati Recycling & Reuse Hub (Hamilton County)
- The goal of the Cincinnati Recycling & Reuse Hub (CRRH) is to help mitigate the effects of climate change by reducing the amount of waste going to landfills through their one-stop drop-off location for hard to recycle items. CRRH is looking for an intern to interpret and communicate their pollution prevention efforts across Southwest Ohio. See the full internship description here.
Corporation for Findlay Market (Hamilton County)
- The Corporation for Findlay Market (CFFM) is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that manages the city-owned, public Findlay Market. CFFM provides experienced business management that continues to develop Findlay Market into a vibrant, increasingly self-sufficient public market as well as supporting the growth of the district. CFFM is looking for an intern to expand their residential composting program and work on their waste reduction plans across the Market. See the full internship description here.
Milacron (Clermont County)
- Milacron, an operating company of Hillenbrand, is a global leader in the manufacture, distribution, and service of highly engineered and customized systems within the plastic technology and processing industry. Milacron’s goal is to deliver highly customized equipment, components and service to their customers throughout the lifecycle of their plastic processing technology systems. Milacron is looking for an intern to create and implement a recycling and waste reduction plan for their four North America sites. See the full internship description here.
ThyssenKrupp- Bilstein (Butler County)
- ThyssenKrupp is a producer of highly engineered semi-active and passive monotube shock absorbers for high-performance automobiles, motorsports, and off-road vehicles. This 24/7 facility uses the newest technology to assemble shock absorber production for three separate, yet integral, consumer groups – Original Equipment (OE), Aftermarket (AM) and Special Purpose Vehicles (SPV). We have three buildings on our Hamilton Campus: the Main Plant, the BILSTEIN Technical Center (BTC) and the brand new 156,000 square foot BILSTEIN Logistics Center (BLC). They have a zero landfill goal and seek to achieve 50% waste reduction by the end of the year. Full internship description coming soon.
Interns selected to participate in the Southwest Ohio Pollution Prevention Internship Program are given responsibilities that assist his/her learning and experience in implementing pollution prevention initiatives including:
- Assist company professionals in facility audits to identify new sustainability and pollution prevention activities pertaining to waste/ hazardous waste reduction, emissions reduction, water conservation, energy conservation, and manufacturing efficiency
- Research and evaluate new pollution prevention recommendations and ensure compliance with environmental and safety regulations
- Present recommendations to supervisor and technical advisors
Internship qualifications include:
- Must be currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student with at least two years of undergraduate education completed
- Desired majors include: engineering, environmental health and safety, and environmental science
- Must have a valid driver's license issued by the state of residency
If you have questions about the program or how to apply for the summer 2024 internship session, email Christin Badinghaus.